August 01, 2012

Visual Studio; The Document outline window

I really love Telerik controls especially in a winforms and asp.net environment. In a windows form solution it gives you this visual edge where your apps just looks a little more professional and appealing. RadDock is by far my most favorite control, closely followed by RadCommandBar.


My problem


Okay, so Telerik did a great job with those winform controls. But the problem is the order I drag my controls from the toolbox to my form. Usually I add a RadCommandBar first docking it to the top of the form, followed by a RadDock docking the form. Occasionally I first add the dock then the bar, resulting in the bar overlaying the dock.

Not the desired end result...



Problem solved?


Sort of... Usually I went to the forms designer code behind and changed the Me.Controls.Add order.



Problem Solved!


But by chance I stumbled into a Visual Studio feature which is far more easy: The document outline window! A -almost "hidden"- window showing all controls on your form. Rearranging controls is reduced to drag'n'drop and clicking arrows. No more need to edit designer code behind.



To show this window from the main menu, select View -> Other Windows -> Document Outline



No comments:

Post a Comment